Integrating BN models with GIS

Anything related to BNs, including models, software and theory
BruceModeler
Integrating BN models with GIS

Post by BruceModeler » Sep 18, 2015 4:14am

Is anyone using GeoNetica, or an API connection to GIS, or some other means?
In past projects, colleagues and I have linked Bayesian network models to ArcMap, ArcGIS maps by using polygon conditions as input files to the BN models as case files, then generating and saving the BN model output which includes the individual map polygon code, then reading those results back into GIS and color-ramping the calculated posterior probability values on a results map. Although functional, it meant that the evaluations were usually spatially insensitive to surrounding conditions in each map polygon.

daniva

Post by daniva » Apr 5, 2018 1:06am

Dear Bruce,

It has been some time that you asked this question :shock:. I also have been looking into the integration of GIS and BNs. It would be interesting to know how you integrated BN models and GIS?

R seems to have released many packages that deal with GIS and Bayesian Networks, very few actually integrate the two. Nonetheless, R has a steep learning curve. On the other hand, you can save a lot of time, depending on your task. To me the following look promising:

bnspatial allows to integrate your readily built BN .net (works with Hugin and GeNIe formats as far as I know) into R and then allows you to integrate GIS data.
I am still in the middle of my research and any tips regarding integration of GIS and BNs would be highly appriciated ;). Thank you!