[Abnms] Invitation to Participate in an Interview Study about Bayesian Decision Support Tools

Bonnie Claire Wintle bonnie.wintle at unimelb.edu.au
Mon Sep 10 13:44:32 AEST 2012

Dear Colleague,

Through the University of Melbourne (Botany), we are conducting an independent research project on understanding the uptake of decision support models in Natural Resource Management.

If you have participated in any aspect* of developing a Bayesian Network model (for NRM decision support), whether on an individual basis or in workshop settings, we would like to invite you to participate in an interview study about your experiences understanding / working with these BN models.

We have received a positive response to the project so far, and are keen to maximise the number of interviewees to capture a range of views. There is little actual empirical data on factors that drive the uptake of models to support decision making, but we believe that good Natural Resource Management depends on a deeper, more nuanced understanding of these factors.

Please see the attached invitation for details.

Thank you for considering this invitation and apologies for any cross-postings.

Dr Yung En Chee (Coordinating Investigator), Dr Fiona Fidler, Dr Libby Rumpff,  Ms Bonnie Wintle, A/Prof. Ann Nicholson, Mr Peter Parbery, Prof. Mark Burgman

*Aspects of model development include: helping to identify important model variables, helping to structure all/part of the conceptual model, helping to specify any variables, their states, break-points or probability distributions, or helping to review/refine a constructed model.

Bonnie Wintle
Environmental Science, School of Botany
Australian Centre of Excellence for Risk Analysis
University of Melbourne Vic 3010

ph: +61 3 9035 6476
fax: +61 3 9348 1620
email: bonnie.wintle at unimelb.edu.au