[Abnms] CFP: IJAR Special Issue on "Applications of Bayesian Networks"

Ann Nicholson ann.nicholson at monash.edu
Tue Dec 13 20:06:55 EST 2011

The International Journal of Approximate Reasoning invites submissions
to a Special Issue on "Applications of Bayesian Networks"

Bayesian networks (BNs) are now a powerful, well-established
technology for reasoning under uncertainty, supported by a wide range
of mature academic and commercial software tools. Bayesian networks
(and other graphical models) are now being applied in many domains,
including environmental and ecological modelling, bioinformatics,
medical decision support, many types of engineering, robotics,
military, financial and economic modelling, education, forensics,
emergency response, surveillance, and so on. We welcome submissions
describing such real world applications, whether as stand-alone BNs or
where the BNs are embedded in a larger software system.

We particularly encourage the submission of papers that address the
"knowledge engineering" of the application, which we use as a general
term that includes expert elicitation, learning from data, taking
existing models from the literature, and any hybrids of these. Authors
are encouraged to describe the knowledge engineering process used to
build their applications, along with the pitfalls encountered and
lessons learned. We also welcome submissions that address the
practical issues involved in developing such real-world applications,
such as knowledge engineering methodologies, elicitation techniques,
validation processes and integration methods, as well as software
tools to support these activities.

SUBMISSIONS
Papers should be submitted electronically via the IJAR online
submission system at http://ees.elsevier.com/ija/ following the
journal's "Guide for Authors". Please indicate that your submission is
to the Special Issue by selecting "BN Applications" as article type
(open from early Jan, 2012). All papers submitted to the special issue
will be reviewed in accordance with the standard procedures of the
International Journal of Approximate Reasoning.

IMPORTANT DATES
Paper submission due			15 March, 2012
Notification of acceptance		1 July, 2012
Final manuscript due			1 November, 2012
Expected publication			Early 2013

Please contact the guest editors with any queries.

Associate Professor Ann Nicholson
Faculty of Information Technology
Monash University, Australia
ann.nicholson at monash.edu